Managing emotions is a necessary part of life for all of us. We feel many emotions, and it can be confusing to sort them out. Sometimes, emotions can be brought up by memories, or our experiences throughout life. Other times, nothing seems to trigger a sudden pang of gloom, or a glimpse of bright joyfulness.
Emotional wellness is the ability to bounce back from any experience or moment where our emotional state has swung off balance. It encompasses our thoughts, emotions, and ability to deal with life’s challenges. As life throws hurdles at us, it can be difficult to keep that balance. Here are some life skills that promote emotional wellness:
- Having the ability to share your feelings with others and talk with them about your emotional concerns
- Feeling like you have a strong support network
- Saying “no” when you need to without guilt
- Feeling content most of the time and being able to relax
- Feeling good about who you are
Check in on yours and others’ emotional wellness regularly. By working on your emotional wellness, you can cultivate the ability to manage stress, maintain body awareness, process emotions, and seek help when needed.